“IS THAT DOUGHNUT WORTH THE GIRTH?’’
This website belonged to the Canadian Obesity Network -Réseau canadien en obésité (CON-RCO) and was launched in 2012 in partnership with Merck Frosst/CIHR Research Chair in Obesity, Univesité Laval and the University of Ottawa to convene the 2nd Canadian Obesity Student Meeting on June 9-12, 2010 in Ontario and later for the 3rd Canadian Obesity Student Meeting on June 20-23, 2012 Edmonton, Alberta.
The rise of childhood obesity has placed the health of an entire generation at risk
- Tom Vilsack
The objectives of these two Canadian Obesity Student Meetings were to:
- provide obesity students and new professionals a unique opportunity to translate their research results across disciplines and health research themes;
- facilitate interaction and collaboration between students and new professionals working in a variety of obesity areas and develop a sense of community amongst the next generation of obesity researchers; and
- Provide networking opportunities and expose trainees to obesity research employment opportunities that exist in various sectors (private and public, non-profit, and academia).
The conference used to bring together several students and professionals as well as obesity stakeholders representing academia, governments and NGOS to discuss several obesity themes which include:
- Obesity: Populations
- Obesity: Causes & Consequences
- Obesity: Treatment & Prevention
Therefore the Canadian Obesity Students Meeting Planning Committee used the site to invite submissions of abstracts of proposed oral and poster presentations relating to the themes around which the conference would be developed.
There were several awards presented to the winner of this event to the Authors/Presenters who won at a banquet held later after the conference.
The domain was however dropped later shortly after the 2012 meeting and when I found the dropped domain, I decided to recreate it with content concerning Obesity and other Cardio Metabolic diseases such as diabetes and heart diseases which storm from obesity.
The site is still under-construction, but there are several posts below which contain important information about several obesity cases. You can access them by clicking on the posts or the categories below.